• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Anime Rankings - Best of Spring 2024, Apr 1-28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenRen94

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Yatagarasu is definitely a hidden gem, it's my favorite show so far.

Also, Black Butler: Public School Arc is missing from the rankings.
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Also missing High-speed Etoile, Jii-san Baa-san, Kami wa Game, Vampire Dormitory, Boukyaku Battery and a few others. Guessing they not currently listed due to them starting a bit later in April? which can't be the case since BNHA is up there.

Banished Hero at the bottom, it didn't even get a chance. It's not all that bad, I've seen worse this like Kami wa Game... Then again there are also better shows to watch.

Studio apartment started off like Ah! Megumi-sama and then went off on a tangent.

YATAGARASU made some huge jumps, happy to see that.

Last edited by Glordit on Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:21 pm Reply with quote
So of the preview guide's rejects for streaming reviews, here's the ones with enough votes to show on the chart:

1. A Salad Bowl of Eccentrics
  2. An Archdemon's Dilemma - How to Love Your Elf Bride
  3. As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I'll Use My Appraisal Skill
  4. Astro Note
  5. Bartender Glass of God
  6. Chillin' in Another World With Level 2 Super Cheat Powers
  7. I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince
  8. RE:MONSTER
  9. Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included
  10. The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases
  11. The Duke of Death and His Maid Season 3
  12. The Irregular at Magic High School Season 3
  13. The Misfit of Demon King Academy II Part 2
  14. The New Gate
  15. YATAGARASU: The Raven Does Not Choose Its Master

And here's the ones without:

1. Gods' Games We Play
  2. Grandpa and Grandma Turn Young Again
  3. Highspeed Étoile
  4. Oblivion Battery
  5. THE iDOLM@STER SHINY COLORS
  6. Tadaima, Okaeri
  7. The Fable
  8. Tonbo!
  9. Vampire Dormitory
  10. Viral Hit
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:26 am Reply with quote
Following all of the bottom three on the list, and I can't quibble about any of them solidly being in those positions. The New Gate is an inferior assembly of bits borrowed from better shows, Studio Apartment might have worked 20 years ago but is now too retro for its own good, and The Banished Hero does nearly everything poorly.

My choice for the most underrated so far is definitely An Achdemon's Dilemma. While maybe not a hidden gem, it's better than at least half of the series ranked above it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Terraziel

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, The Banished Hero is thoroughly deserving of it's place at the bottom, the story itself would be mediocre at best but the art is just distractingly awful. It takes a lot for my main memory of the latest episode to be how terrible your carriage design is.

The only other thing I'm watching that I'd put on the same level is Vampire Dormitory but that is because it is so aggressively stupid. I mean this is a show about a girl pretending to be a boy where she routinely wanders about half naked, and somehow they still don't notice. I'm beginning to feel like the idea is just a joke that I'm not in on.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:30 am Reply with quote
Will the rankings use the ranked pairs method moving forward? On a theoretical level, it's more resistant to tactical voting than the Schulze method.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Jii-san Baa-san
Black Butler
-> not quite enough votes, but borderline

High-speed Etoile
Vampire Dormitory
Boukyaku Battery
-> not enough votes

Kami wa Game
-> was the unfortunate victim of a screw-up; episodes 3 & 4 were not auto-added like other series, and we discovered it too late. So these two episodes don't have enough votes to compute a meaningful rank. But based on the number of votes for episodes 1 & 2 it would have been a close call anyway.

Aerdra wrote:
Will the rankings use the ranked pairs method moving forward? On a theoretical level, it's more resistant to tactical voting than the Schulze method.

I haven't run any numbers yet, but my overall impression is that ranked pairs result in fewer non-linearities than Schulze. So at the moment I'm positive for keeping it .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I haven't run any numbers yet, but my overall impression is that ranked pairs result in fewer non-linearities than Schulze. So at the moment I'm positive for keeping it .

Actually, I'd be surprised if Schulze and ranked pairs regularly produce different results. First, that would imply that intransitivity regularly occurs. Second, even when intransitivity occurs, Schulze and ranked pairs, though following different algorithms, tend to produce the same orderings in the end.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Actually, I'd be surprised if Schulze and ranked pairs regularly produce different results. First, that would imply that intransitivity regularly occurs. Second, even when intransitivity occurs, Schulze and ranked pairs, though following different algorithms, tend to produce the same orderings in the end.

Dan's obviously seen the data and I haven't, but neither algorithm allows abstentions in their standard forms -- I imagine that accounts for a lot of the difference.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 10:48 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Dan's obviously seen the data and I haven't, but neither algorithm allows abstentions in their standard forms -- I imagine that accounts for a lot of the difference.

You're probably right. The way abstentions are counted creates intransitivity. I vaguely remember discussing this a long time ago but forgot about it until you brought it up.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Are your implementations of the ranking algorithms kept behind closed ANN doors, Dan? It would be interesting to simulate a bunch of ranking data and throw it at them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1